Already a Member?

Why no pic?

# 1  3/4/14 1:30 AM

This is to guys and gals.  Why if you are looking to meet perhaps the 'one' are so many not prepared to have a pic on their profiles?  Does this indicate your reasons for being here are not quite what they seem? 

I'm no oil painting but I figured having a pic gives the chance that you might 'catch someones eye' and could instigate something special.  Most people dont eat with their eyes closed do they?

This topic has no doubt been discussed before so apologies if I'm repeating.

# 2  3/16/14 3:32 PM

There are many reasons why a person might not post a picture.

1. they do not know how to.
2. they are uneasy about putting one up on the internet
3. like # 2 they might just want to be careful on-line.
4. They want to get to know a person BEOFRE posting one.

# 3  3/18/14 9:13 AM

GodsTruthAlways wrote:

There are many reasons why a person might not post a picture.

1. they do not know how to.
2. they are uneasy about putting one up on the internet
3. like # 2 they might just want to be careful on-line.
4. They want to get to know a person BEOFRE posting one.

Slightly OT, but if they don't know how to upload a pic, I pity them trying to cancel recurring billing! LOL!

#2&3 are definitely true. The adage about once it's out there is true. I haven't read POF's terms COMPLETELY (who does?), but many sites have a clause that they can use your photos for promotion of their site at their discretion. Also, some sites generate 'Bot Profiles' based on real profiles, including photos.

Regarding #4, so many claim that they simply want to make a connection, that beauty is only skin deep, that true beauty comes from within, but if there is no photo, or the photo is not an attractive one, people surf right on by. To those people, I say good riddance. There is one site that even suggests contacting people without photos because they are more likely to respond. If a person with no photo fills out a complete and accurate profile, the 'right' person will respond. To need to see someone first seems somewhat shallow to me. Granted, there should be some attraction, but to reject someone out of hand because of their photo, that's not right in my mind. I know I do not take the best photos, but it is only a 2 dimensional representation of a brief instant in time that may or may not accurately reflect my true 'image'. I would actually prefer if sites would remove the search option of 'with photos only'. If someone has the knowledge and resources, I'd be curious to see how a "no photo" site would do. That's my 2 cents worth (in COPPER pennies!).

# 4  3/18/14 10:08 PM

Thanks for the responses.  Valid points of view being expressed.  Personally, I prefer there to be a picture.  I understand the whole 'once its out there its out there' thing.  Just make sure its not a picture you wouldn't be happy your mother stumbling across .  Any whoo, thanks for responding.